Dr. Dewi Yunita, S.TP, M.Res
Tentang Saya (About Me)
I graduated from Agricultural Product Technology, Universita Syiah Kuala, Banda Aceh-Indonesia in 2005 with Distinction predicate. Then, I have worked directly in the same department. In this department, I have been involved in Food Microbiology, Fermentation Technology and Food Safety courses. My research interests are Dairy Fermented Products and Food Microbiology and Food Safety on Coconut, Cocoa, and Coffee. To increase the quality of my teaching and research, I gained knowledge from MRes (2008-2010) and PhD (2011-2016) in Biosciences at The University of Nottingham-UK majoring in Food Microbiology and Food Safety working with Prof. Christine E. R. Dodd and Dr. Rob Linforth.
My PhD research topic was about microbial dynamics of raw milk cheese ripening. In this study, Stichelton, a blue-veined cheese made from unpasteurised milk by the same process as Stilton cheese, was examined by traditional culturing methods and molecular approach methods (PCR-Denaturing Gradient Gel Electrophoresis) of the bacterial 16S rDNA. The survival of Lactococcus lactis strains in a mature Stichelton was examined by sub-species differentiation of the isolates using Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis (PFGE) and genomic plasmid profiling. The response of Staphylococcus equorum isolated from Cheeses to acid and salt was also examined. Furthermore, the interaction between a mixed starter Lactococcus lactis, Penicillium roqueforti and a non-starter Staphylococcus equorum isolated from the crust of Stilton cheese was investigated in a small cheese model. Finally, the sensory properties of the cheese models were analysed using Solid Phase Micro Extraction with Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (SPME GC-MS).
During my PhD, I was a member of Society for Applied Microbiology (SfAM), Society for General Microbiology (SGM), Institute of Food Science and Technology (IFST), International Association for Food Protection (IAFP), The Society of Food Hygiene and Technology (SOFHT) and Institute of Food Technologists (IFT). The main benefit I got by joining these societies is that I had a chance to apply the grants to attend a conference. The list of grants I received and conference I attended could be seen below. Currently, I am a member of Indonesian Society for Microbiology (PERMI) and American Dairy Science Association (ADSA).
2018: Lektor (Assistant Professor) Research Grants of Syiah Kuala University, Indonesia
2015: FEMS (Federation of European Microbiological Societies) Young Scientist Meeting Grants
2015: IAFP (International Association of Food Protection) Student Travel Scholarship
2014: ICFMH (International Committee of Food Microbiology and Hygiene) Scientific Meeting Grants
2013: SGM (Society for General Microbiology) Scientific Meeting Travel Grants
2013: FEMS (Federation of European Microbiological Societies) Young Scientist Meeting Grants
2013: SfAM (Society for Applied Microbiology) Conference Studentship
2010: Young Lecturer Research Grants – Universitas Syiah Kuala, Indonesia
- Dewi Yunita, Yusriana, Yuliani Aisyah, Martina Fitri Wahyuni. Flavour Compounds Profile of Cacao Beans from Pidie District, Aceh Province, Indonesia. International Conference on Green Agro-Industry and Bioeconomy. Malang-Indonesia, 18-20 September 2018. (Oral).
- Martina Fitri Wahyuni, Dewi Yunita, Yusriana, Yuliani Aisyah. Chemical and Microbiological Characteristics of Cocoa Beans from Pidie District, Aceh Province, Indonesia. The 8th Annual International Conference on Health Life Sciences, Syiah Kuala University. 12-14 September 2018. (Poster).
- Irfan, Farhan Mirazi Hidayat, Rasdiansyah, Dewi Yunita. Addition of Tofu Pulp Waste in the Production of Bokashi with Local Microorganisms. Internasional Seminar of Indonesian Society for Microbiology. Palembang-Indonesia, 14-15 November 2017. (Oral)
- Dewi Yunita and Christine E. R. Dodd. Antifungal Activity of A Cell-Free Supernatant of Staphylococcus equorum Isolated from A Raw Milk Blue-Veined Cheese. 5th IUMS Outreach Programme: Advances in Food Safety and Mycotoxins. Yogyakarta-Indonesia, 19-20 January 2017. (Poster)
- Christine E.R. Dodd, Dewi Yunita, Vijith Jayamanne, Contantina Apostolou, and Robert Linforth, Effect of Raw Milk and Relative Humidity in Influencing The Characteristics of A Mould-Ripened Blue-Veined Cheese. Food Micro 2016. Dublin-Ireland, 19-22 July 2016. (Oral and Poster)
- Dewi Yunita, Jihan Sherif, Robert Linforth, and Christine E. R. Dodd. The Role of Staphylococcus equorum in Influencing The Characteristics of A Mould Ripened Blue-Veined Raw Milk Cheese. Microbial Diversity 2015. Perugia-Italy, 27-29 October 2015. (Poster).
- Dewi Yunita, Constantina Apostolou, Konstantinos Gkatzionis, Robert Linforth, and Christine E. R. Dodd The Role of Debaromycess hansenii in Influencing The Characteristics of Stilton-Style Blue Cheeses. SfAM Summer Conference. Dublin-Ireland, 29 June-2 July 2015. (Oral and Poster).
- Dewi Yunita, Jihan Sherif, and Christine E. R. Dodd. The Response of Staphylococcus equorum Isolated from Cheeses to Acid and Salt. Food Micro 2014. Nantes-France, 1-4 September 2014. (Poster).
- Dewi Yunita, Jihan Sherif, and Christine E. R. Dodd. Interaction between Lactococcus lactis and Staphylococcus equorum in Small Cheese Models. The Science of Artisan Cheese. Somerset-UK, 19-20 August 2014. (Poster).
- Dewi Yunita, Jihan Sherif, and Christine E. R. Dodd. The Presence of Staphylococcus equorum in Cheeses. Microbial Diversity 2013. Turin-Italy, 23-25 October 2013. (Poster: 3rd Winner).
- Dewi Yunita and Christine E. R. Dodd. Phenotypic Diversity of Lactococcus lactis in The Production of Stichelton, A Raw Milk Cheese. SfAM Summer Conference. Cardiff-UK, 1-4 July 2013. (Poster).
- Dewi Yunita and Christine E. R. Dodd. 16S rDNA PCR-DGGE As A Tool To Identify Microbial Changes During Stichelton Cheese Production. The Inaugural SfAM-PECS Conference. London-UK, 25 October 2012. (Oral and Poster).
- Dewi Yunita and Christine E. R. Dodd. The Microbial Flora Dynamics of A Blue-Veined Raw Milk Cheese. Food Micro 2012. Istanbul-Turkey, 3-7 September 2012. (Poster).
- Dewi Yunita. A Comparison of The Microflora of Blue-Veined Cheese: Stichelton and Stilton. The Science of Artisan Cheese. Somerset-UK, 28-29 August 2012. (Oral).
- Dewi Yunita and Christine E. R. Dodd. Improving A Raw Milk Cheese Production by Microorganisms Identification. Research Showcase 2012. The University of Nottingham-UK, 14 June 2012. (Poster).
Universitas Syiah Kuala, Fakultas Pertanian, Jurusan Teknologi Hasil Pertanian
Jl. Tgk. Hasan Krueng Kalee No.3
Darussalam, Banda Aceh - 23111
Konstantinos Gkatzionis, Dewi Yunita, Robert S. T. Linforth, Matthew Dickinson, Christine E. R. Dodd, 2014, Diversity and Activities of Yeasts from Different Parts of A Stilton Cheese, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 177, 109-116, 0168-1605.
Dewi Yunita, Yanti Meldasari Lubis, Nurakmal, 2012, Pembuatan Mi Kering dengan Penggunaan Tepung Labu Tanah (Cucurbita moschata), Sagu-Agricultural Science and Technology Journal, 11(2), 36-42, 1412-4424.
Nida El Husna, Dewi Yunita, Juliani, 2012, Pembuatan Timphan Instant dengan Metode Pengering Vakum, REAKSI-Jurnal Sains dan Teknologi, 10(1), 22-34, 1693-248X.
Dewi Yunita, Syarifah Rohaya, Nida El Husna, Isnanda Maulina, 2011, Pembuatan Niyoghurt dengan Perbedaan Perbandingan Streptococcus thermophilus dan Lactobacillus bulgaricus serta Perubahan Mutunya Selama Penyimpanan, Jurnal Teknologi Pertanian, 12(2), 83-90, 1411-5131.
Dewi Yunita, Yusriana, Yuliani Aisyah, Eti Indarti, Martina Fitri Wahyuni, Putri Yani, 2021, Characteritics of Lactic Acid Bacteria and Acetic Acid Bacteria Isolated Before and After Fermentation of Cacao Beans from Pidie, Indonesia and Detection of The Flavour Compounds, Earth and Environmental Sciences, The 10th Annual International Conference on Environmental and Life Sciences (AIC-ELS), Banda Aceh, 15-16 Oktober 2020, UK, IOP Publishing Ltd., , 1755-1315.
Eti Indarti, Sri Muliani, Saidatul Wulya, Rafiqah, Ismail Sulaiman, Dewi Yunita, 2021, Development of Environmental-Friendly Biofoam Cup Made from Sugarcane Bagasse and Coconut Fibre, Earth and Environmental Sciences, The 10th Annual International Conference on Environmental and Life Sciences (AIC-ELS), Banda Aceh, 15-16 Oktober 2021, UK, IOP Publishing Ltd., 0, 1755-1315.
Dahan Kurnia Alfiati, Novia Mehra Erfiza, Hartati Oktarina, Yuliani Aisyah, Dewi Yunita, 2019, Penggunaan Ragi Komersial dan Lama Fermentasi terhadap Kadar Air, pH dan Total Cell Counts (TCC) Pliek U, Peran Perguruan Tinggi sebagai Mitra Pengembangan Energi Terbarukan dan Peningkatan Ekonomi Kreatif, Seminar Nasional Politeknik Negeri Lhokseumawe, Banda Aceh, 5 Oktober 2019, Lhokseumawe, Unit Penelitian dan Pengabdian kepada Masyarakat Politeknik Negeri Lhokseumawe, 0, 2598-3954.
Dewi Yunita, Wilda Melia, Raihan Dary, Syarifah Rohaya, 2017, Penggunaan Karagenan dan Gum Xanthan sebagai Bahan Penstabil dalam Pembuatan Niyoghurt , Inovasi dan Kreatifitas Teknologi Hasil Pertanian dalam Mendukung Pembangunan Agroindustri Nasional, Seminar Nasional THP, Banda Aceh, 5-6 Oktober 2017, Banda Aceh, Syiah Kuala University Press, 0, 978-602-56-79-25-4.